We recently chatted to our expert insurance panelist, John Cox from Insurance Desk about reasons why we should protect our rental properties with a rent guarantee.
John owns Insurance-Desk Services which is an independent, friendly broker. They’ve been working with clients for over 14 years and consistently provides competitive quotes year on year on landlords, tenants, portfolio and commercial insurance policies as well as many other types of insurance.
John founded Insurance-Desk Services to aid many landlords who at the time were finding it increasingly difficult to insure properties that have tenants who were on benefits.
We asked John why he thought that using a Rent Guarantee was a good idea.
- Protecting your rental income should be a must if you want continuous rental profits and/or need to keep up with a mortgage. Rent Guarantee cover ensures rental income is not compromised even if your tenants fall into arrears
- The provider that John uses also incorporates the following cover within the property owners policy at no extra charge.
- Unpaid rent in the event of a breach of tenancy agreement where the insurers have proceeded to assist with repossessing your property
- Cover includes vacant possession: – Upon repossession, if the property needs damage repaired for you to re-let, then the rent guarantee will continue to cover rental arrears. This is at 50% of the rent sum for up to 3 months
- Cover HMO’s and Student Lets
- Nil claims excess and no cap on the monthly rental income as long as the total claim amount (including legal expenses) doesn’t exceed £50,000
John referenced one claim that they have in progress at the moment.
The client logged the claim after one month of being in arrears. The legal expenses provider actioned the section 21 for the client against the tenant.
As the landlord had completed the required referencing, inventory and credit checks the rental arrears will be paid each month. Should the tenant not vacate the premises after the section 21, the legal expenses will also help with court action to repossess the property.
I was really impressed that the insurance paid out so quickly and this landlord will have peace of mind whilst trying to seek possession of their property.
Contact John for a friendly chat about rent guarantee or buy to let insurance. 01296 329610 or email us through email@example.com