– Review –
The UK’s number one property website, rightmove.co.uk, has recently launched an iPhone app to help property hunters search for the ideal home, whether that is to live in, as an investment or just to rent.
As you’d expect the application has most of the easy to use functionality of any iPhone application and links into the GPS to find your current location, along with using the map function to display the location of the property. This is particularly useful if you stumble upon a property while out walking or are driving around a potential investment area.
To find a property for sale or to rent, you just enter the postcode or use the “Get my current location” function. As with the website you will be provided with ANY properties in the selected area, and you can then amend the search to broaden or narrow your selection. You are then able to save a search to use later.
Reviewing property details is very easy. You can look at the pictures, call the agent directly from your iPhone or request further details from the Agent. You can also send a link to the property to your family or friends.
Tip: you can select the main photo to jump to the photo slideshow.
Once you have found that ideal property and made an appointment you can also save the particulars. This takes a copy onto your iPhone so that you can review them again with a slow internet connection or without one at all.
Overall the rightmove iPhone application is a very good freebie tool. It comes with the main features you get with the website packaged in a convenient application and although there are some things that can be improved, on the whole it does exactly what you’d expect, with the added benefit of current location identification via GPS.
– Pros –
- Find properties for sale in the location you are at and then view them on a map to find the property.
- Property pictures load quickly and are easy to view (albeit small)
- Ability to call the agent directly from your iPhone.
– Cons –
- Property pictures are only displayed in portrait and you cannot rotate your iPhone to view in landscape, neither can you zoom in on a picture
- Modifying saved searches do not show until you restart the application.
- Using a GPS location in the recent locations does not seem to work.