As a landlord it is your sole responsibility to ensure that you meet all legal requirements.  You can’t blame lack of awareness or your letting agent.  It is down to you - if you don’t meet these requirements you could face prosecution.  

It’s a scary thought; so knowledge is the key.  Even if you have a letting agent managing your property, make sure that you are familiar with your legal responsibilities and you’ll be covered.

We have produced a legal checklist for you to go through to make sure you're covered.   Please note that HMO properties have their own legal requirements.

You can request a copy of the legal checklist by entering your details in the sign up box on the left.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

 energy performance certificate


Energy Performance Certificates are issued once a full energy assessment of your rental property has been completed by a qualified Energy Assessor.

Energy Performance Certificates are a legal requirement when letting a property to a tenant in England, Scotland or Wales and landlords have a duty to provide the tenant with a copy of the EPC or it will invalidate a Section 21 Notice (England).

You can search the EPC register here:

Gas Safety Certificate (CP12)

gas safe certificate

Landlord Gas Safety Certificates (CP12) and inspections for rental properties are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Landlords are required to hold a valid Gas Safety Certificate where a rental property has a gas supply to an appliance or the central heating is fired by gas.  Gas Safety Regulations 1998 states that the Gas Safety Certificate is to be renewed every 12 months.


Fixed Wiring Test (EICR)

Fixed Wiring Test

Periodic electrical safety inspection testing of rental properties fixed wiring circuits conducted by our nationwide network of electrical engineers.

Landlords letting property in the UK have a legal obligation to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy.  As such, ensuring the electrics in the property are not damaged or worn out, through wear and tear, is an important check to make every 5 years.


Portable Appliance Test (PAT)

Portable Appliance Testing

Portable appliance testing (PAT test) carried out by an electrical engineers to ensure that a property's electrical items are safe to use.

If you are letting a property in the UK, one of the most important legal obligations of a landlord is to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy. As a result, Health and Safety regulations require that electrical appliances are safe and would not cause harm to any tenant using them.


Protect yourself from Property Fraud

Property fraud is where fraudsters try to “steal” your property, most commonly by pretending to be you and selling or mortgaging your property without your knowledge. Sign up to Property Alert with the Land Registry, this is a free service and you can choose up to 10 properties to monitor. It will notify you if anyone attempts to change the legal title or other activities. 

Sign up to Property Alert here

Watch the 3 minute video below to find out more about how to protect your property from fraudsters.

Read more in our 'Protecting yourself from property fraud article'


Subcategories from this category:

Insurance, Conveyancing, Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Private landlords struggle to keep up with regulatory changes

It is difficult to know exactly what Theresa May’s premiership will be remembered for when it finally comes to an end in July. Will she go down in history as the lady who failed to deliver Brexit, the Prime Minister who snatched defeat from the jaws of victory or the politician who presided over a huge change in private rental market regulations? Private landlords struggling It is fair to say that recent changes to the private rental market came about as a consequence of the Conservative party seeking to curry favour with middle ground to left-wing voters. At a time when the Conservative party was literally tearing itself apart, Theresa May saw an opportunity to introduce tenant friendly regulations and hopefully win over some of the popular vote. However, just a couple of years down the line from the start of the regulatory changes there is confusion and many private...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
Подробнее на сайте: http://begin-travel.ru
http://german-medicine.ru http://grand-medicine.ru Go to top of page http://natural-treatment.ru
509 Hits

Property and Divorce: Who Gets the Family Home in a Divorce Settlement?

The family home is often the most significant asset to be included and negotiated in the divorce settlement. It’s for this reason that it’s vital to understand the role of property in the divorce settlement and how the courts decide who gets the family home. There are many different things to consider during the divorce process, one of which is the division of matrimonial assets. For most people, the divorce settlement will include property, and the property in question is often the family home. Due to the value and significance of the property, deciding who gets the house or how it will be divided between each spouse can prove to be a complicated and stressful experience.  So who does get the family home in a divorce settlement? Always Get Expert Legal Advice First Your first step should be to seek the advice and legal guidance of an experienced and reputable...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
461 Hits

Richard Hamilton – Head of Property at Davis Blank Furniss – talks us through the conveyancing process

Selling a house/flat Usually an estate agent will be instructed and the property will go up for sale. Viewings will then take place and the sale price will be agreed. You should then instruct either a solicitor or a conveyancer to deal with the sale on your behalf. They will send their terms of business/engagement letter to you setting out the likely cost and disbursements. Disbursements are payments that need to be made to third parties such as search fees and stamp duty land tax. They will also carry out identity checks required by their governing bodies. Your representative will then provide you with a ‘contract pack’ which should contain the following documents for you to complete: Fittings and content form; Property information form; Leasehold information form (only if the property is leasehold); and Leasehold property enquiries form known as LPE1 (this will need to be sent to the landlord/managing...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
2007 Hits

Freehold & Leasehold: What do they mean?

Considering selling your home and relocating? Then be prepared to hear the terms freehold and leasehold a lot. Understanding what they mean is important as it could make the difference between owning a home and the land it’s on completely or having a landlord. Here, quick sale property experts, We Buy Any House explore what the two mean and how owning one over the other can differ. What do freehold and leasehold mean and what’s the difference? Freehold: If you are the freeholder it means that you own both the building and the land that it’s found on. If you were to search the property in the Land Registry you would find it under your name as the ‘freeholder’ and owner of the title completely. This is the preferred purchase option in pretty much every instance and comes with many advantages. Chief of which is the fact that you don’t...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
2314 Hits

Should landlords be concerned about the new Homes (Fitness) Act?

The simple answer is, no. Landlords who are abiding by the current regulations, administered by local authorities, have nothing to be concerned about. The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act (2018) is in many ways a transfer of rights from local authorities to tenants. However, it makes sense to understand the new legislation and the additional protection given to tenants. Why was the Homes (Fitness) Act introduced? The reason this legislation has been brought in is to ensure that private rental properties are fit for purpose and human habitation. It would appear that local authorities up and down the country are struggling to carry out their current responsibilities regarding the repair of substandard rental properties. Therefore, the UK government has decided to back a Private Members Bill to refresh tenant protections and shift the emphasis on pursuing repairs. In simple terms tenants will now be able to sue their landlord...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
2472 Hits