Legal requirements for landlords
There is a guide to renting out your property on the .gov.uk website. It’s a really useful guide and lists landlord’s responsibilities.
Legal Requirements include:
- Tenant Fees Act 2019
- Permission to let from the lender
- Check your tenant has the right to rent your property – if in England
- Give your tenant a copy of the How to rent checklist when they start renting from you (you can email it to them)
- Protetecting the tenant’s deposit in a government-approved scheme
- Arranging adequate insurance
- Making sure the property has an EPC
- Gas Safety Certificate
- Electrical certificate
- Make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed
- Tenant’s Safety – fit and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms
- the water supply must be working properly to protect tenants from Legionella
And much more…..
Download our free guide today to make sure that you understand and adhere to all the legal requirements for landlords
There is also a great article in the blog which discusses another legal property issue – “What are squatters rights in the UK” that’s also a great read.
The Lastest blogs from our Accounts…
Many UK nationals who are now resident abroad continue to own properties in the UK. For some, it is a way to avoid parting with their UK residence...
Cherie Blair, MBE QC, the wife of former Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair is representing a group of several hundred property investors. They are...
Good news - I recently have heard from Matthew Moody, that the Government are going to debate the petition that many of you have signed. Bad...
It's on our list of things to do to find out how the new tax changes will effect us moving forward. Fortunately, we've just come across this buy to...
George Osbornes most recent budget was bleak news for many landlords. New rules, to be phased in between 2017 and 2020, stand to cut gross...
There was an interesting article in the Telegraph today regarding the taxman closing a property tax stamp duty loophole. This ruling is thought to...