Legal requirements for landlords
There is a guide to renting out your property on the .gov.uk website. It’s a really useful guide and lists landlord’s responsibilities.
Legal Requirements include:
- Tenant Fees Act 2019
- Permission to let from the lender
- Check your tenant has the right to rent your property – if in England
- Give your tenant a copy of the How to rent checklist when they start renting from you (you can email it to them)
- Protetecting the tenant’s deposit in a government-approved scheme
- Arranging adequate insurance
- Making sure the property has an EPC
- Gas Safety Certificate
- Electrical certificate
- Make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed
- Tenant’s Safety – fit and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms
- the water supply must be working properly to protect tenants from Legionella
And much more…..
Download our free guide today to make sure that you understand and adhere to all the legal requirements for landlords
There is also a great article in the blog which discusses another legal property issue – “What are squatters rights in the UK” that’s also a great read.
The Lastest blogs from our Accounts…
Please find below a useful table showing how much Stamp Duty you would need to pay when buying a property. During the current stamp duy holiday and...
By all accounts the stamp duty holiday for properties up to £500,000 has been a pretty successful exercise in providing a bit of a stimulus to the...
At the beginning of the tax year of 2016-17 then Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne implemented a 3% hike in stamp duty on houses which are...
Recent changes to the way that buy-to-let properties are taxed could create a pension crisis for over 1.8 million landlords, according to the...
Any buy-to-let investments are now subject to a new, higher form of taxation. If you are one of the landlords affected, will you be able to cope...
As most of us in the residential property investment sector are already aware last Thursday saw the introduction of the first phase of a new...